Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More chewing, less nibbling

Damn it, I miss blogging.

I resisted Facebook until the bitter end, possibly because I knew it would creep in, with it's chatty format and it's snappy status updates, and slowly obliterate the longer, more reflective space of a blog. But ultimately I caved, and got on Facebook so I could flirt with a guy. Well, that task is finished - we're all but shacked up now, though I haven't stopped flirting with him.

And then something happened to a friend that made her revisit her own, more reflective space. I had been considering packing it up and moving it all back here before then, but now it's definite. I'm coming back.

I am, first and foremost, a cud chewer. It's what I do. And you can't chew cud properly on Facebook. You can nibble cud, but there is no chewing, and your audience is limited. On Facebook, the friends part comes first, then the reading. I like the reverse. It's how I met so many of the best friends I've never met. (And some I have.)

Blogging is how I got through the implosion of my 15-year marriage. It's how I spent my time during my long and lonely four-year exile in a second-floor home office. It's where I turned after a morning in the mountains, or an afternoon spent watching bears.

I miss it. And I want it back.

So here I am. More chewing, less nibbling.

6 comments:

  1. This makes me happy :) I'm a cud chewer too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like! Like, like, like, like, like.

    Can't do that on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that you're back writing on your blog again. Thanks for mentioning me. Blogging is helping me grieve for my dad. It's a chapter in my life that I need to reflect upon & FB isn't the right vehicle for that. Blogging allows me to "chew my cud" too and writing about it helps me work through my pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like the Blues Brothers, getting the band back together again.

    By the way, I have no idea how long this template will last. It may start to annoy me shortly. I haven't had good luck with the templates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good news Jen. Please chew as many cuds as you can.
    I really missed that chewing of you.
    You could go so profound into a subject, there never existed nibbling nor superficiality, and you also could be sometimes very funny. I'm looking forward to the new revival of your blog and I'm really honored that you've placed a link to “my nest”! Thank you very much!
    Now – there's no more need to chat on Face book, the time of loneliness is over and I think we both know what it means “to be lonely” for such a long time.
    Welcome back dear friend!
    Have much fun with blogging again.
    Big hug.
    Fran

    PS: “chewing a cud”. I can't find the exact translation for this saying but I think, if I'm right, that it means something as: chewing on a leaf like a ruminant!
    Ha ha! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran, yes! A cow chews cud. Gnaw, gnaw, gnaw. I chew on issues like a cow chews cud. That's me!

    ReplyDelete